Frequently Asked Questions
Where and how do I buy SLT?
Note: SLT was issued by Smartlands Platform Foundation, a Cayman Islands foundation which is an independent entity from Smartlands Platform Ltd.
SLT is an asset (token) on the Stellar network, therefore the best way to buy SLT is to use Stellar Decentralized Exchange (SDEX). Buying SLT on SDEX requires to have a Stellar account and a sufficient amount of XLM on your balance.
- If you don’t have a Stellar account and XLM yet please choose one of the following options.
First option is to create an account on StellarX and deposit USD or other cryptocurrencies to get XLM required to create an account as well as XLM to buy SLT.
Alternatively, you can buy XLM and create a Stellar account:
- Buy XLM. SLT is a Stellar based asset (token) and the most liquid trading pair is SLT-XLM. To buy SLT with XLM, obviously, you need to purchase XLM first. To buy XLM you can go to any exchange from this list and choose one which is the most suitable for you in terms of payment methods, language, and other preferences. When you buy XLM remember that it is recommended to keep your XLM balance no less than 2,5 XLM (or even more if you plan to set many offers). Stellar network requires a minimum balance on your account that increases with the amount of trustlines (required to make any actions with any Stellar-based tokens, e.g. SLT) and outstanding offers. The minimum balance required to open an account is 1 XLM. Besides, you will need to hold 0.5 XLM for each trustline added and 0.5 XLM for each outstanding offer. Hold additional 0.1-0.5 XLM to cover the fees (0.00001 XLM per operation).
- Get an account on Stellar. Once you have XLM, you can create a Stellar account. First you should generate a keypair that comprises a public and a private key.
– Public key: a public key is used to identify the account. It is also often referred to as an “account” or an “address.” A public key is used for receiving funds or checking balances with block explorers.
– Private key: a private (or secret) key is used to access your account and make transactions. Keep this code safe and secure. Anyone with the code will have full access to the account and funds. Don’t lose the key, as you will no longer be able to access the funds and there is no recovery mechanism.
After saving the keypair, transfer your XLM to a public key of your account. For this purpose you can use almost any Stellar-based wallet. Smartlands Platform developed its own wallet – Smartlands wallet. Once your XLM is transferred to your account, you can login with your private key and add trustline for SLT.
- Exchange XLM for SLT. Now you are ready to purchase SLTs on the Stellar Decentralized Exchange (also known as SDEX). Create an offer to buy SLTs with XLM. Your offer will be executed at the best available price, so you can set higher SLT price than the best ask offer available or you can set a limit order to buy SLTs and wait until somebody executes it.
To learn more about trading SLTs on SDEX, please review this tutorial https://smartlands.io/wp/2017/12/21/how-to-trade-on-sdex/
What is the total supply and circulating supply?
The total supply of SLTs is roughly 7.2 mln, the circulating supply is currently 5,1 mln SLTs. You can always check the total supply of SLTs and the rest of the relative information on SLT here.
SLT was issued by Smartlands Foundation, a Cayman Islands foundation which is an independent entity from Smartlands Platform Ltd.
Where can I find the Smartlands roadmap?
The Smartlands' strategic development plan “Unicorn Vision” is available here.
What the SLTs are used for?
SLT is a utility token which serves the following purposes:
- It is a unit of account on the Smartlands Platform
- SLT holders can set the rules of the platform with decentralized management system through voting their SLTs.
- It can be used for buying and selling security tokens issued on Smartlands Platform
- ABT issuers/holders are required to hold SLTs according to the Smartlands Platform’s rules.
SLT was issued by Smartlands Foundation, a Cayman Islands foundation which is an independent entity from Smartlands Platform Ltd.
Is Smartlands represented on social networks?
Twitter: https://twitter.com/smartlands Telegram: https://t.me/smartlandschat Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/SmartlandsPlatform/ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmartlandsPlatform/ Medium: https://medium.com/@smartlands
What are the sectors of real economy that Smartlands focuses on the most?
Smartlands focuses on tokenization in the Real Estate sector and Agricultural assets.
What is a security token?
Security token is a security issued in the form of a blockchain token. Both a security owner, and a security token holder have the same rights. The most typical securities are shares, bonds, and derivatives.
How can I apply to list a security token on Smartlands?
To start the process you need to submit your application here. Issuing security tokens is a complex procedure and the Smartlands platform will guide a company/asset owner through all the required steps.
What does “tokenizing an asset” mean? What are the benefits of it?
“Tokenization” is a mechanism that allows an asset to be represented by a digital entity - a token. Why tokenize assets?
- The rights to an asset are digitized and easily transferable through sending tokens or a trading process
- Simple for plain vanilla assets, highly complex for compounded and multifaceted assets
- All permits for digital processing are rolled into the token’s code for ease and speed of operation
- A Security Token (representing an asset) is a completely new instrument for a novel asset management infrastructure
- An asset along with all of its transactions represented by a Security Token on the blockchain can be viewed by all members of an ecosystem
- Tokenized assets (security tokens) are of much higher liquidity
Where and how do I store the SLTs that are not currently traded on exchanges?
If you hold your SLT in your personal Stellar account (you hold the private key for the account) it means you store your SLTs “off exchange”. It is possible to trade on Stellar decentralized exchange directly from your Stellar account through Stellar-based wallets/portals, but it does not mean that your balance is stored “on exchange”. The balance of a Stellar account is stored on the Stellar network (blockchain), so “an exchange” cannot steal your balance, deny transfer/”withdrawal” or get hacked. Nevertheless you bear all risks of having a crypto account - your private key may be stolen/phished or the wallet can get hacked. Probably the safest way to store your SLTs is to store them on your Ledger Nano S.
SLT was issued by Smartlands Platform Foundation, a Cayman Islands foundation which is an independent entity from Smartlands Platform Ltd.
What is Smartlands Index Token?
Once the number of security tokens issued on the Platform reaches five, the Platform will construct the index encompassing all the Platform’s security tokens (ST). After the issue of 10 ST on the Platform, an index token will be issued. As illustrated on the picture below, proceeds from selling of index tokens will be used to buy all the security tokens issued on Smartlands in proportions defined by the index calculation algorithm. Security tokens balances will be amended in case of deviations from the proportions or issue of new ST on the Platform. The index token will make the Smartlands index of security tokens investable providing an opportunity to buy all the tokens in a certain proportion with one action. We expect Smartlands Platform’s security tokens to become a popular safe haven assets for crypto investors and high-yield low-volatility investment for retail fiat investors. If an investor is not an expert in fundamental analysis and is unable to pick a specific token efficiently, the Index Token is the optimal way to make a low-risk investment and get familiar with security tokens without having an extensive expertise in the field. Index token is diversified by design therefore a possible failure of an individual security token is not going to significantly affect the entire portfolio.
The assets in which countries will Smartlands tokenize first?
Initially, Smartlands focuses on assets in the European and South Asian countries, but in the future we will be launching and curating tokenization projects all over the world.
FROM WHICH COUNTRIES CAN I INVEST?
You can apply to invest from any country, except if you are a resident from one of the jurisdictions listed below. Just make sure that any investment you make complies with and is permitted under the laws of your jurisdiction. This includes complying with any governmental or regulatory requirements or other applicable formalities.
Residents from the following jurisdictions are not accepted:
⧫ American Samoa
⧫ Bosnia and Herzegovina
⧫ Central African Republic
⧫ Democratic People's Republic of Congo
⧫ Democratic People's Republic of Korea
⧫ North Sudan
⧫ Puerto Rico
⧫ Republic of Guinea
⧫ Republic of Guinea-Bissau
⧫ South Sudan
⧫ Trinidad and Tobago
⧫ US Virgin Islands
WHERE CAN I FIND SMARTLANDS PLATFORM LTD BEST EXECUTION POLICY?
You can find the Best Execution Policy from Smartlands Platform Ltd here: https://smartlands.io/best-execution-policy.pdf
WHAT ARE THE INVESTOR FEES?
Platform Transaction Fees: 2% of value of investment
Custody Fees charged by Globacap Ltd: 0.25% of value of investment
Distribution Fees charged by Globacap Ltd: 1% of distribution amount
Foreign Currency Exchange Fees: If investing in EUR or USD, you will be notified of the agreed exchange rate from EUR or USD to GBP prior to or at the time of such Investment by the Smartlands Platform. The exchange rate will only be valid for a certain specified period. If you do not transfer the relevant amount of EUR or USD within the specified period, the agreed rate will lapse, and your request for Investment will be cancelled. This is more fully explained in the Investment Terms & Conditions.
XLM to fiat Conversion Fees: If investing in XLM, you will be notified of the agreed exchange rate from XLM to GBP prior to or at the time of such Investment by the Smartlands Platform. The conversion rate will only be valid for a certain specified period. f you do not transfer the relevant amount of XLM within the specified period, the agreed rate will lapse, and your request for Investment will be cancelled. This is more fully explained in the Investment Terms & Conditions.
Bank Transfer Fees: These will be charged at the applicable rate.
WHAT IS THE FUNCTIONALITY OF THE INVESTEE TOKEN?
Ownership of Security or Investee Tokens carries no rights, whether express or implied, other than a representation of the rights that a beneficial owner of Investee Shares would have pursuant to Applicable Law, the terms and conditions applicable to those Investee Shares (including any constitutional documents or shareholder agreements or similar instruments, rights or obligations applicable to those Investee Shares) and in the terms of the Investment Terms & Conditions.
What is KYC?
Know your customer, alternatively known as know your client or simply KYC, is the process of verifying a clients' identity and assessing potential risks for the business relationship.
What information is required for KYC?
Full name, date of birth, occupation, income level, home address, phone number. Additionally, you will have to upload your recent photo, copies of your ID/passport and proof of residence. KYC process also includes an assessment of suitability required by FCA for participants of unregulated collective investment schemes.
Why should I pass KYC?
It is forbidden under the law to provide access to crowdfunding platform to customers who did not pass KYC procedures. Therefore, you must pass KYC procedure to gain access to investment opportunities on the Smartlands Platform.
Why provide proof of address and which documents to submit?
To finalize your KYC application, you will be asked to provide proof of address (POA). This document is necessary to comply with the Financial Conduct Authority’s regulations and to become a verified investor at the time of creating your account on Smartlands platform. To ensure that the verification process will go smoothly, please read this guideline for POA
How long does it take to pass KYC?
With the information in hand, it shouldn't take more than 10 to 15 minutes to pass KYC procedures.
What happens if my KYC application is rejected?
You will not be able to use Smartlands platform until you pass KYC procedures successfully. You might be given an additional chance to pass KYC if the KYC partner rejected your application.
What could be the reasons for rejecting my KYC application?
Here are the possible reasons for rejection of a KYC application
- information provided by you is false or inaccurate
- uploading of fake documents, random pictures/files instead of documents required, poor quality images, inappropriate documents, etc
- answers provided in the appropriateness test are incorrect (ban for a certain period may apply).
What is the assessment of suitability and appropriateness test?
Assessment of suitability includes self-certification as a specific type of investor (restricted, self-certified sophisticated, high net worth) and answering the question of the appropriateness test. The purpose of the appropriateness test is to assess your suitability as an investor and to ensure that you have sufficient knowledge and understanding of equity-based crowdfunding to make these types of investments. As stated above, provision of incorrect answers to questions of the appropriateness test will result in failing KYC and a possible ban for a certain period.
What is AML/CFT?
Anti-money laundering (AML) and combating the financing of terrorism (CFT) are the legal controls that require financial institutions and other regulated entities to prevent, detect, and report money laundering and terrorist financing activities. Investors that are not involved in either activity will not be affected by these checks.
What is PEP?
Politically exposed person (PEP) is a term describing someone who has been entrusted with a prominent public function. A PEP generally presents a higher risk for potential involvement in bribery and corruption by virtue of their position and the influence that they may hold. PEPs pose a money laundering and terrorist financing risk. Therefore, access to Smartlands Platform for such individuals is likely to be restricted.
Is my data safe?
All personal data is encrypted and stored in the private centralized database hosted by a reliable cloud services provider. Personal data of investors may be shared with a 3rd party only for verification purposes.
Is KYC on the Smartlands Platform GDPR compliant?
KYC Service of the Smartlands Platform is GDPR compliant, Smartlands is an operator of a personal data. Please note, that after the funds will be deposited or/and investments are made on the Smartlands Platform, the Right to be Forgotten will not be provided due to record keeping obligations of the Smartlands Platform under FCA regulation.
How can I enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) on Smartlands Platform?
- In your account settings go to “MULTIFACTOR.”
- Once the button “ENABLE MULTIFACTOR AUTHENTICATION” appears, click on it
- Select your preferred method of 2FA
- If you prefer Google, you’ll have five minutes to scan the QR code – plenty of time to get some extra security on your account!
- Or you can do it using your cell number and add an extra layer of security to your account via SMS
That’s it! Once verified, you will have added an extra layer of security to your account.
How should I take a picture of my ID?
1. Place ID on a dark surface, preferably black or dark gray with no print. DO NOT hand-hold the document in midair, make sure all the elements of the document are clearly visible on the final picture you plan to upload.
2. Make sure all four corners of the document are visible. When scanning passport, DO NOT block any of the MRZ data (the two lines of symbols at the bottom of the page with photo)
3. Maintain the right distance between the ID and the picture-taking device so that the document is sufficiently enhanced filling about 80% of the frame. When submitting Passport, use Front/Identity information page ONLY (page with photo).
4. No glare, shading, skewing or other creative designs! Remember, we’re not making art here. Scan the document in a well-lit area, in day light, with as little artificial/auxiliary lighting as possible.
Just so you know what we’re talking about, here are some examples of badly displayed IDs guaranteed NOT to be accepted by the Smartlands Platform verification algorithm:
1. DL’s edges not visible
2. DL’s partial presence in the frame
3. Bad zoom: the document is barely seen
4. Non-contrasting background
5. Finger over MRZ data
6. Shadow over document
7. The document is askew (2-3-degree tilt is fine but don't’ go crazy!)